May 17, 2009

Then and Now

Emboldened by chuck b over at my back 40 (feet) (http://back40feet.blogspot.com) and his wonderful post on his garden's transformation over the past several years, I've decided to share some before and after pictures of my backyard.



March 25, 2007. Two ancient, aphid infested orange trees were just removed from the center of yard, and finding myself baffled by the amoeba-like shape of the faux stone patio, I somehow had the idea that more meaningless curves would be a GREAT IDEA. The bare, concrete block walls are vaguely reminiscent of a prison yard. Note too, the spindly, struggling Eugenia hedge at the top of the photo.

June 15th, 2007: The flower bed is filling in a bit - but the walls are still incredibly barren. Note the pitiful, dark red dahlia tied firmly to the stake against the wall. It's almost like a firing squad!

June 23, 2008: The curve of the flower bed has been corrected, but if I had an extra 10k in my bank account that patio would be removed permanently. Note the cat, (far right) who after an exhausting day of doing absolutely nothing inside the house, has staggered outside to flop down in the sun.



April 2009: the walls are slowly being covered with Boston Ivy and a varigated Lonicera. The roses are beginning to bloom, and digitalis catch the late afternoon sunlight.

12 comments:

Pam/Digging said...

What a lovely transformation. That wall is well-hidden by soft green foliage. What did you do with the struggling hedge, I wonder?

Ruth@VS said...

What a transformation! Most inspiring.

Jean said...

Good things come to those who wait! It looks like your vision for that area is now a reality, and quite a beautiful one.

I did a series on my backyard transformation back in January. It's fun to look back but I most especially like your kind of before and after shots of the same space.

Chloe Marguerite said...

Pam,

Thank you! I kept feeding/watering the hedge. I found that not trimming it helped as well - if kept too closely pruned it seems to get infested with that horrible, disfiguring thrip.

Chloe M.

Chloe Marguerite said...

Ruth,

Thank you! I got some help from Abigail, the co-author of this blog. She usually has some really good suggestions.

Chloe M.

Chloe Marguerite said...

Jean,

I went back to your before/after shots - Wow - every nice! It's always a pleasure to see how a garden grows.

Chloe M.

Northern Shade said...

Covering the wall with vines makes a wonderful green backdrop for the garden. The blue, pink and white blooms look great, set against the wall of green.

Anne said...

Gorgeous! i love seeing before and after photos. The 'after' is so green and lush.

chuck b. said...

Such progress is v. inspiring. I was looking through my Flickr stream tonight going back a few years and thinking UGH through most of it.

Chloe Marguerite said...

Hi Chuck,

Oh, I think your garden is very inspiring!

I admit, a lot of the time I'm STILL thinking 'ugh' when I look at the garden. Abigail had some great suggestions though, so right now I'm doing a pretty severe 'edit'. It'll give the neighbors something to talk about.

Chloe M.

kate smudges said...

I am hoping that you are still blogging. I`d love to see more pictures of this area. It looks wonderful. Hope you are having a great spring.

Karen said...

Hey! Just saw you had "visited" and am hoping you will get back to your blog one of these days, since it was always one of my favorites. Love your comment about the cat, so true. :) Hope all is well in your garden(s)!