October 2, 2010

Heat Wave

After a cool and foggy summer, I assumed my beloved hydrangeas had made it through the season unscathed.

But a rogue heatwave clamped down on the South Coast last week; Monday morning the temperature was 80* in the shade, by mid-afternoon it had climbed to a scorching 107*.

Despite a thorough soaking just the day before, these blooms literally cooked on the stem.

Nothing to do now but cut them back, give them a heavy feeding of cottonseed meal mid- January, and pray for another long, cool spring next year.

However, "A Shropshire Lad" certainly enjoyed the last few days, along with "Flower Girl" and an unamed, heat loving aster.





2 comments:

kate smudges said...

I'm sorry to hear of your hydrangeas fate. It is so disappointing when one waits with great anticipation for a beloved plant to flower. Thankfully there is always next year.

My blogging has been terrible. I need to rouse myself and begin again. It has been a rough year and it's hard to blog when not in the spirit.

I hope you have a good fall. We are having an unusual fall with periods of rain interspersed with much warmer weather than usual.

Chloe Marguerite said...

Hello Kate,

I'm glad to hear you'll be blogging again - your photography in particular is outstanding.

I know, it's been more than a year since I last wrote about my garden - a very difficult year.

Chloe M.